About Me

My photo
I'm Shannon and I am applying for THE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD. I am an outgoing, self-motivated, funny girl who loves to travel. After graduating from the University of Toronto with a degree in Theatre and English, I lived in Australia for one year. During that time I spent 6 months living in the Northern Territory; three months in the mining town of Nhulunbuy on the Gulf of Carpenteria, one month in Darwin and two months in Alice Springs. I did spend some time in Queensland, I LOVED Townsville and Rockhampton and Great Kepple Island. I had the opportunity to dive the Great Barrier Reef and I learned to surf. I sailed the Whitsunday Islands and am KEENLY aware of what I will be missing out on if I don't get to experience Hamilton Island for myself. On this blog I will be writing about me, my past travel experiences and hopefully showing everyone why I am the best candidate for THE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD! If you would like to email me you can reach me at shannontheislandgirl@rogers.com If it takes me some time to respond to your email, it's just because I'm busy packing my bags! See you on the island!

The Island Girl's Videos

Monday, February 2, 2009

I Have A Confession

I have to admit it. I'm not sure that I should, but in the interest of full disclosure I need to let the blog world know this one little secret about me; I don't like power boats. At one point in my life I didn't like any boat what so ever. But slowly and surely I learned that not all boats are bad.

I lived on a sailboat for three days while sailing in the Whitsunday Islands. I survived. I took the ferry to Staten Island and back on a recent trip to New York so that we could go past the Statue of Liberty. I also took the ferry from the South Island of New Zealand to the North Island (and that is a ROUGH ferry ride), I slept on the floor of a ferry while in Thailand. I am still here to blog about it. I canoed through Katherine Gorge while traveling from Darwin to Alice Springs. I've been on a catamaran and lived. So not all boats are bad. But power boats....I'm still not a fan.

The reason I am telling this dirty little secret to the world:

When I was a child my grandfather had a power boat, and we used to take family trips out on the boat for the day. This was not my favourite family time, that's for sure. But my grandfather was a steamship captain with Canadian Steam Ship Lines and he loved the water, my father has worked on steamships and he loves the water, so family day on the boat happened quite often. In order to distract myself from the boat I would write little songs to sing to myself. One day I wrote this song on the boat:

I think I'll buy an Island
When I'm 23 or 4
It will be big and great and all mine

No powerboats on shore

Why do I mention this in a blog about me trying to be the one for THE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD? As you can see, I predicted my move to Hamilton Island years ago. And although I did get my age wrong,
(as hard as it may be to admit, I am no longer 23 or 4),
I've been ready to live on an island for a very long time.

And maybe in the 6 months I will be on Hamilton Island, I can learn that power boats are just as much fun as the pedal boat I won in a raffle once.

0 comments: