About Me

My photo
I'm Shannon and I am applying for THE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD. I am an outgoing, self-motivated, funny girl who loves to travel. After graduating from the University of Toronto with a degree in Theatre and English, I lived in Australia for one year. During that time I spent 6 months living in the Northern Territory; three months in the mining town of Nhulunbuy on the Gulf of Carpenteria, one month in Darwin and two months in Alice Springs. I did spend some time in Queensland, I LOVED Townsville and Rockhampton and Great Kepple Island. I had the opportunity to dive the Great Barrier Reef and I learned to surf. I sailed the Whitsunday Islands and am KEENLY aware of what I will be missing out on if I don't get to experience Hamilton Island for myself. On this blog I will be writing about me, my past travel experiences and hopefully showing everyone why I am the best candidate for THE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD! If you would like to email me you can reach me at shannontheislandgirl@rogers.com If it takes me some time to respond to your email, it's just because I'm busy packing my bags! See you on the island!

The Island Girl's Videos

Monday, February 23, 2009

Meeting the Girls

Paris was everything I could have asked for and more.  On the flight from Rome I met a man who I will never forget.  We actually met in line for the bus to the airport and my biggest regret of 2008 is that I have no way of contacting him.  His name is Justin and he works for Proctor and Gamble.  He was a complete stranger who I spent 6 hours chatting with from downtown Rome all the way to Beauvais airport.  Justin, if you’re reading this send me an email.  I would love to hear from you. 


Joanne had arrived in Paris first and she met me at the bus from the airport. My bus got in late but we were both starved so we had a late dinner.  While having dinner two fantastic things happened. 

1.  The restaurant, Le Select, had a cat.  On the bar.  His name was Mickey.  That is what made me fall instantly in love with Paris.  

2.  There was a regular at this restaurant who is, apparently, famous for pestering pretty much everyone who eats there.  Especially if they are women.  We were no exception. Francois-Xavier, (self proclaimed Obnoxious, Friendly and Talkative Parisian), sat himself at our table and didn’t leave for half an hour.  Our food arrived….Francois-Xavier just kept on talking.  His food arrived, at his table and still he talked and talked and talked.  If you’re in Paris and you meet him tell him Shannon and Joanne said Hi!

Laura joined us the next morning, after Joanne and I did a bike tour of the city.  And we then spent the next few days gallivanting like fools around Paris, and eating our way through the best bakeries!  We went to a Jason Mraz concert and I fell in love with his music all over again.  (That happens pretty much every time I go to a Jason Mraz concert).

 

We took the Eurostar to London, and even though they were still dealing with the aftermath of the fire that had happened in one of the tunnels a few weeks before, we made it across faster and earlier than planned.  London on day one was a whirlwind.  Joanne only had the one day in London before she left so we did a whistle stop tour so she could see the highlights.  Then we went to the theatre.  I have been a theatre lover my entire life.  As far back as I can remember I have loved to go to the theatre.  But never have I loved it as much as when we saw Noel Coward’s Brief Encounters in London.  Everything about this production was perfect.  The cast was a talented ensemble, who were fully committed to their roles and the chemistry between them was palpable.  The set was innovative, using both traditional theatre tricks with video, and the audience was part of the show.  To say I loved it would be an understatement.  I was captivated the entire time.  And at intermission they were selling Ben and Jerry’s ice cream in individual containers.  Life really doesn’t get any better than spending time with your best friends, seeing amazing theatre and eating ice cream.  I was in heaven, and everyone spoke with a British dialect.  It was perfect.


0 comments: