About Me

My photo
I'm Shannon and I am applying for THE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD. I am an outgoing, self-motivated, funny girl who loves to travel. After graduating from the University of Toronto with a degree in Theatre and English, I lived in Australia for one year. During that time I spent 6 months living in the Northern Territory; three months in the mining town of Nhulunbuy on the Gulf of Carpenteria, one month in Darwin and two months in Alice Springs. I did spend some time in Queensland, I LOVED Townsville and Rockhampton and Great Kepple Island. I had the opportunity to dive the Great Barrier Reef and I learned to surf. I sailed the Whitsunday Islands and am KEENLY aware of what I will be missing out on if I don't get to experience Hamilton Island for myself. On this blog I will be writing about me, my past travel experiences and hopefully showing everyone why I am the best candidate for THE BEST JOB IN THE WORLD! If you would like to email me you can reach me at shannontheislandgirl@rogers.com If it takes me some time to respond to your email, it's just because I'm busy packing my bags! See you on the island!

The Island Girl's Videos

Sunday, February 8, 2009

My Attempt at a Video Blog

A few years ago while at a party for the Toronto International Film Festival I was given a SWAG bag that had a web cam in it. I remember thinking to myself, "Wow! That could be fun. I can't wait to try it out." I got it home, tried to use it, got annoyed because it wasn't working, and then didn't think about that camera again until very recently when I thought I may try my hand at making a video blog.

Fast forward to today when I brought it out of retirement, plugged it in to my laptop and was astounded when IT WORKED! A window opened and there I was, looking back at myself. "Why did I find this so hard before?" I asked. "This seems to be the easiest thing in the world".

From Drop Box
So then I start recording. I had a whole routine that was very amusing about how scared I was of this "video blogging" thing, and how easy it turned out to be. However, I was lulled in to a false sense of security.

From Drop Box
It turns out that I could get video, (a bit grainy, but actual video), but there was no audio. No problem! I'm a smart cookie. I can figure out how to get audio. And there it was, a button that said "capture audio". How easy was that?

"Fantastic!" I thought. "I'll just click on that and I should have video and audio and I will be on my way!"

But, alas, no. It didn't work that way. Apparently, neither my laptop or my camera have a microphone built in. Dang it.

From Drop Box
I tired, and I tired and I tried. But to no avail.

From Drop Box
And the longer I tried the more frustrated I got. I was seriously about to be beaten by a camera I can hold in my hand! This was not how my night was supposed to go.

From Drop Box
But then, there hiding in the corner I saw a button called "tool box".

"Oh, maybe there will be a hidden microphone somewhere in there".

That is not where the microphone was.

Would you like to know what there WAS in that tool box??? SPECIAL EFFECTS!!! Who needs a microphone when you can do things like this:

From Drop Box
and this:

From Drop Box
and this:

From Drop Box
I may still learn to video blog...but for now I'm just going to play in the snow!

0 comments: